Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Logical 7 - Statement and Assumptions

Practice Questions:

Question 1:
Statement - 
If you have any problems, bring them to me.
Assumptions - 
I. You have some problems.
II. I can solve any problem.

The word 'if' shows that 'you' do not necessarily have problems.
So, I is not implicit.
Also, the statement states that problems will be solved by 'me'.
So, II is implicit.
Hence, answer is (b) - only assumption II is implicit.


Question 2:
Statement - 
Detergents should be used to clean clothes.
Assumptions - 
I. Detergents form more lather.                    
II. Detergents help to dislodge grease and dirt.

Nothing is mentioned about the lather formation by the detergent.
So, I is not implicit.
Also, the detergents should be used as they clean clothes better and more easily.
So, II is implicit.
Hence, answer is (b) - only assumption II is implicit.


Question 3:
Statement - 
Like a mad man, I decided to follow him.
Assumptions - 
I. I am not a mad man.
II. I am a mad man.

The words 'Like a mad man' show that either a person is really mad or he is not mad but acted like mad.
So, either I or II is implicit.
Hence, answer is (c) - either assumption I or II is implicit.


Question 4:
Statement - 
The government has decided to pay compensation to the tune of Rs. 1 lakh to the family members of those who are killed in railway accidents. 
Assumptions - 
I. Prayer makes a man more humane.
II. Prayer atones all of our misdeeds.

Clearly, the amount of compensations must have been decided keeping in mind the monetary position of the Government.
So, I is implicit.
However, nothing can be said about the frequency of railway accidents in future.
So, II is not implicit.
Hence, answer is (a) - only assumption I is implicit.


Question 5:
Statement - 
Never before such a lucid book was available on the topic.
Assumptions - 
I. Some other books were available on this topic.
II. You can write lucid books on very few topics.

It follows from the statement that books on this topic were available before also but they were not 'lucid'.
So, I is implicit.
But a general comment as II cannot be made from the given statement.
So, II is not implicit.
Hence, answer is (a) - only assumption I is implicit.


Time to Think:

Statement - 
"I have not received telephone bills for nine months inspite of several complaints" - A telephone customer's letter to the editor of a daily.
Assumptions - 
I. Every customer has a right to get bills regularly from the telephone company.
II. The customer's complaints point to defect in the services which is expected to be corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment